BISMARCK, N.D. (AP) _ North Dakota National Guard commander Maj. Gen. David Sprynczynatyk (sprihn-suh-NAT'-ihk) says flooding has caused more than $7 million in damages in the state since mid-May.
Sprynczynatyk says damage costs could increase if heavy rains continue in June.
The state Emergency Commission on Tuesday approved about $40 million in flood-fighting expenses dating back to 2009, including money for the recent damages. The money comes from the state's disaster relief fund that's used to help defray damage costs and to match federal funds from presidential-declared disasters.
President Barack Obama last month approved Gov. Jack Dalrymple's request for a federal disaster declaration to help several North Dakota communities recover from flooding earlier this year.
Sprynczynatyk says he's crafting a new request for Dalrymple to send to the president for the most recent damages.